Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Create a narrative story about the medicinal use of a plant describing the qualities
(actions, taste energetics, organoleptics etc.) based on personal experience of the medicinal herbs covered in this course.
2. Explain and recall the botanical classification, botanical names, common names, parts used, properties, uses, dosage, and safety issues for the medicinal herbs covered in this course.
3. Differentiate herbs of similar therapeutic use and apply to case study examples.
4. Research and evaluate herbal products and the range of scientific evidence available on the use of medicinal plants.
5. Compare and evaluate traditional and modern research in monograph categories (parts used, indications, dosage, extraction) of a core group of herbs .
The attached presentation was the culmination of learning throughout the course, as well as in other courses. The students chose a body system, a particular illness or issue, and then explained the medicinal herbs that could be used. I tried the herbs in the formulation and tested it throughout the course to develop personal experience with the plants. The presentation included the rationale for the selected herbs, therapeutic actions, safety, dosage, etc.